Paying homage to some of the inspiration I’ve gleaned from business icons Marie Forleo, David Newman, Tom Borg, Seth Godin, Kim Garst, etc, I’ve seen folks write a list of “7 reasons to work with me”.
Here’s my take on that inspirational work, as to why you should work with me.
Here are 7 reasons to work with me:
4. easy to work with
And, to give a little background what I mean, let’s take the points one by one.
1. expertise – . I have in-depth knowledge. I have been in the travel business for over 10 years. I work 60+ hours/week. I am not a hobbyist . I have planned vacations for 1000’s of people. I have seen things go well, and go terribly awry (e.g., Icelandic ash cloud, anyone?). But through it all, I work with my clients and suppliers to orchestrate travel dreams.
Like all serious professionals, I have invested time, energy, and money in mastering my skills. I have easily exceeded Malcolm Gladwell’s “10,000 hours to success and mastery.” See 10,000 hours here
The most important part of my job is my developing terrific relationships with supplier partners around the globe. I especially love my VIrtuoso partners, and using those relationships to VIP you, and negotiate special amenities on your behalf. I leverage the power of all of my relationships to help you.
2. currency – I have up-to-the-minute info on the travel industry. I stay current. In fact, I stay on the cutting edge. A la Stephen Covey, I sharpen the saw. I travel. I take Virtuoso & supplier training. I study for in-depth supplier specialist programs. I travel for cruise ship inspections, hotel inspections, and Virtuoso Week regional tours. I have luncheon meetings with suppliers, and attend various supplier dinner presentations. I am also invited, and attend, premier annual conferences such as Virtuoso Travel Week in Las Vegas (see here), and the International Luxury Travel Mart in Mayakoba (see here). I am a VAST (Virtuoso active & specialty travel) certified advisor; and have ongoing training and product updates; and attend VAST Globe-trotting. I live and breathe travel. This is what I do.
3. relevance – In my newsletters, my social media, and my blogs at www.lushlife.ca, I share directly relevant stories, examples, and case stories that display how I can help you. See the “testimonial of the week” section in my newsletter below, or see my verified Virtuoso client testimonials here. See the tips I share, with things like the packing tips section below as well. Like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/lushlifetravel . I also host a weekly twitter travel chat called #vastchat each Friday at 11 am est (join me!). I’m also interviewed by industry publications that show my expertise and relevance such as here, Virtuoso blog, or Virtuoso Life here
4. easy to work with – My client testimonials are ‘social proof’ that my clients find me easy to work with. I hope you do too, and that’s why we continue to work together. Each consultation call I have starts with me delving into the experience that the client is looking for with each trip. I am your travel ‘master chef.’ I combine the ‘ingredients’ (suppliers and products) in my ‘kitchen’ (my resources) to prepare the ‘meal’ (travel experience) you desire. And sometimes, you’re not sure what you’d like, or you don’t even know what you don’t know. That’s when I can go to work. I leverage my relationships and supplier partners to deliver the travel ‘meal’ that you are looking for each time. See testimonials here for my clients’ reviews of working with me.
5. interaction – I believe in a collaborating with my clients.I always explore what the best product/ travel experience/ supplier is for the person(s) travelling. There are no talking heads here, and I don’t lecture clients on what’s best. Instead I listen, and ask questions to ensure I understand what it is you value. I don’t prescribe a solution without diagnosing the problem you’re trying to solve. I collaborate with you. Of course, I’ll make recommendations based on my experience, and try to warn about pitfalls and worries; but I’ll also share magic and inspiration. See more about my collaborative process here.
6. experience – Don’t trust travel advisors who don’t travel. I travel. I visit the destinations, and travel in the styles of travel I sell. This summer, I’ve already been to Jamaica, and am about to head to Newfoundland. Shortly after, I’ll be headed to Vegas, Orlando, and Mexico. in September, I’m leading a group with Lindblad to circumnavigate Newfoundland. And I’m finalizing a group on Rocky Mountaineer next June. I have experience.
7. authenticity – I believe that people work with those they know, like, and trust. There is no division / separation of my personal life from my business life – I am who I am. You can find me sharing details about my life and my travels on my personal fb page www.facebook.com/vacay as well as my biz fb page www.facebook.com/lushlifetravel . I am the same. I try to share who I am on my social media platforms. I put the social power in the social media, and try to connect with people in real life. I also host various travel events each year so folks can meet up.
Contact me to orchestrate your travel dreams!